Monday, May 12, 2014

The Quilt Progresseth! (Finallyth!)

But first, a garden update!  The garden has shot up significantly within the past week.  Must be all the fish smoothie fertilizer!  Noel hates the smell of it.  It's not my favorite either.  But the tomatoes LOVE it.  So here's a quick snapshot of it!


Why from that angle, you ask?  Because...the weeds.  The weeds are out of control.  And unfortunately whenever I've had time to weed, it's been rainy and when I try to pull them out, huge clumps of dirt come out too.  So.  No weeding.  Maybe I can put Noel on weed duty!  The cucumbers, squash, and sugar snap peas are already blooming, and we already have baby tomatoes on our plants.  Yay!  Won't be long now!

And yes, I have finally been working on the quilt again.  FINALLY.  Noel and I put the frame together a while back and it had been sitting, bare, neglected, like a pile of sad, dry bones in the middle of the desert of our living room.

But I finally put the quilt on the frame!  It has rails with little canals running the length of the rails, and you use a piece of tubing to push & hold the fabric into the rails, to hold the quilt taut and keep it in place while you work on it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't get the tubing into the rails.  There may have been some cursing, and also a bruised wrist.  But!  I took a deep breath and utilized my inner country girl - and taped it onto the rails.

It worked!  Behold...the quilt on the frame!


So from the side, the quilt frame looks like one of those Imperial shooter thingies from Star Wars.  You know the ones....


Am I right?

So now the quilt is all set up!  From the picture below, you can see all the necessary equipment for quilting:
  • Quilt in frame
  • Chair
  • Coffee
  • Agatha Christie Murder Mystery on TV 


But what is NOT necessary equipment for quilting? 


A fat cat who enjoys sitting on things.

How to resolve this?  Simple!  Aluminum foil.  For some reason, even though cats find the following things enjoyable to park their rumps on:

  • Remote controls
  • Corner of book
  • Pile of plastic grocery bags
  • Washing machine
They don't like sitting on aluminum foil.  So I covered the quilt in it.  And later I can recycle it!


But sitting all day long quilting (and also sitting at work) isn't the healthiest way to live.  I recently bought a hula hoop and have been getting my waist exercise that way.  And apparently I'm going through my first mid-life crisis or something, because I also just bought...


Roller Skates!  They're made for skating outdoors and they're so fun!  And since it's been...a while...since I've been skating, I bought a helmet and a set of pads for wrists, elbows, and knees.  So far no catastrophes.  Whew!

Now if only I can skate AND weed at the same time!

No comments: