Tuesday, July 27, 2010

A Tale of Two (hundred) Veggies

What have we been up to lately, you may ask? Gardening!

Our garden looks lovely, if I do say so myself. It's very lush and full, and it's producing like CRAZY.



Isn't it pretty?

My Aunt Betty gave us some of her corn, fresh off the stalk. Yum. We had some for dinner last night.



We also got our first tomato off of the vines on our porch! Yay!



It's pretty, even if I don't eat tomatoes myself. (Note: I love them in sauces and such, just not by themselves and not raw. Noel will eat them like apples.)

AND. One of the most exciting things is this!



A baby cantaloupe!! Isn't it adorable? We have at least 7 or 8 of them, but this was one of the bigger ones. I did find another that was bigger, but it wasn't easily photographable. I have to pick my way really carefully in order not to squish anything. I'm hoping these will do well and be ready to eat in about 2 weeks or so.

But our biggest crop? Remember last Friday's massive 43 cucumber harvest? Yesterday I went and picked FORTY-SEVEN more. We are DROWNING in cucumbers right now!



Even the kitties are feeling concerned about the sudden influx of cucumbers. Poe investigates a wayward cuke:



Loki goes in for a sniff:



Then attacks the encroaching cucumber hordes! GRRRR!!!!



(No cucumber was harmed in the filming of this post.)

I've started a batch of homemade bread and butter pickles, and will take pictures of that process as it progresses. I've never done it before, so they might end up tasting like burnt dog hair, but we won't know until we try, right?

No comments: