Tuesday, August 17, 2010

I Itch, Therefore I Calamine.

Things are in full harvest-mode around here!

In fact, they're so much so, that we went to a harvest festival last weekend - a Blackberry Festival!


It was tiny, but cute. Very good music!

We didn't buy any blackberry anything, even though we both like them. Oh well. Maybe next year, I'll make my own blackberry jam!

The okra has started ripening enough that I've gone out twice to harvest. I'll take pictures next time I go, so you can see how okra grows (if you've never seen it, which to be honest, I never had). Our okra plants are...fertile. I cut okra for about an hour a few days ago, and ended up with a basket full (this pic shows only a third of what I cut).


Also, I ended up with a bad itchy rash. Apparently okra and I disagree on a molecular level, and it has shown its genetic superiority to my pale, blotchy skin. I am now covered in calamine lotion from fingertips to elbows, and from now on will be harvesting said okra in long sleeves and gloves. And pants.

The cantaloupes are coming up like crazy! We have another in the fridge as I type, and probably a few more ready to pick tomorrow. Hooray!

I'd like to take a moment to introduce you to....

Cukezilla, the Cucumber Who Thinks He's a Watermelon:



I honestly stood there in the garden thinking it was a zucchini for a minute, til I remembered I didn't plant any zucchini.

In other food related news (which seems to be all I'm posting about lately!), I have a new recipe to share with everyone!

Kelli's Super Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu!!

(Chicken cordon bleu is one of my very favorites, and this has become a household fave too).

(My dear vegetarian friends may want to avert their eyes from the following pictures. Carnivores, stare away.)

Ingredients

Frozen chicken tenderloins (or boneless breasts), thawed
Sliced ham for sandwiches
Sliced Swiss cheese
Shake & Bake, parmesan herb flavor

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a casserole dish (I use the spray stuff).

2. Dip one side of tenderloins in Shake & Bake, and place crumb side down in dish.



3. Layer a piece of ham over each tenderloin.

4. Place a layer of Swiss cheese over the ham.



5. Spray the cheese with the Pam greasing spray, and cover with the rest of the Shake & Bake.




6. Cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is done.



7. Stuff yourself.

I'm wondering now, if this type of meal wouldn't work for vegetarian dishes too - eggplant comes to mind. Hmmmm.....

In other randomness, we're acting as foster parents to Noel's sister's dog, who needs a good home with lots of room to run and other animals for her to play with. Her name is Sable, and she's an 8-month old husky/Australian shepherd mix.

She has a lot of personality! And energy!


Anyone need a friendly dog? Just let me know!!

1 comment:

Cima said...

Made your chicken cordon bleu for dinner Sunday night and it was delicious! Lots quicker and easier than the way I've done it for years. THANK YOU ! Served it with roasted asparagus....good combination.