Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Movin' On Up!

Busy busy busy!! We've been busy as little bees around here this week.


As soon as I got back from Virginia, we got to work on the house. So far, we've:


- painted 3 rooms
- scrubbed & waxed the floors
- scrubbed the walls
- bleached the bathroom & kitchen
- cleaned the carpets
- cleaned the windows
- swept about 8 million cobwebs
- spackled and wood puttied problem spots

And did all the other 30,000 things you do when you move into a new home.


Now we're in the midst of unpacking, and plan to spend our first night in the house on Wednesday (June 2nd). Yay!


My friend Barb (hi Barb!) has requested photos, so here we go!


First, we had SO MUCH CRAP in our storage unit, both literally and figuratively. Thankfully we had put out roach baits. They had obviously paid a visit.


We rented the biggest truck Budget had, a massive diesel with a 24 foot bed. We filled it up!



It's amazing to see the things we put in storage, after not seeing it or needing it for a year. We really need to have a yard sale soon.
So here are some pictures of the house after cleaning and before moving in:

The living room (the bathroom is at the end of the hall on the left, and the dining room is through the right-side door):


The master bedroom:


The stairs to the attic room (picture of attic room forthcoming - it's adorable!):


The kitchen (already done, thanks for helping Mom!):


So part of the issue that we're having is that our furniture is BIG. And this house is old, so the rooms aren't huge. We're having to be really creative with our furniture placement. So far, this is what we've come up with:

The living room (love the fireplace bricks, but the fireplace was replaced with an oil heater):



One of the bookshelves in the living room:



The tv room, with the fab yellow couch (only slightly mouse-eaten):


The dining room:


I love this peg wall in the kitchen (we didn't do it - it was already like this):


The master bedroom, some assembly required:



The sewing room, a LOT of assembly required:



We met one of the neighbors yesterday:



I named him Mopsy McGillicuddy.

One of our other neighbors is my darling Aunt Betty, who kindly offered some of her garden space for me to attempt to grow some vegetables. My history of growing veggies hasn't been all that great.

Years ago, when I first moved to Savannah, I decided to grow a garden by my house. I planted cucumbers, tomatoes, and beans. My aunt & uncle came to visit, and I offered him my entire bumper crop of green beans. I walked into the kitchen, and handed him a plastic baggie with 3 shriveled green beans. Yup, my entire crop.

I refuse to blame this on my actual farming skills, however, and choose to blame it on (1) the unbearable hellish heat in coastal Georgia, and (2) the "soil" in Savannah, which is really nothing more than damp sand.

So this shall be an interesting experiment!

I found it really fun today, digging rows and planting seeds, pulling weeds, etc. I had some more boxes to unpack, but we really needed to get the seeds in the ground asap!

So here is our garden!



Ok, so it's a plot of dirt, but it WILL be a garden as soon as some of the seeds sprout!!

Note, my Aunt Betty's corn is already up and growing and putting my little seeds to shame thus far:


We'll give it a few weeks and see how our little seeds are growing!

No comments: