Monday, June 14, 2010

Oh Play Me Some Country Music!

As you may have guessed, we've been extremely busy here at the house, working, working on the house, and...working.

This weekend though, we thought we'd take some time to kick back and relax and even go out and enjoy some local events! We ended up seeing so much (and yours truly took so many pictures), that our weekend in review will actually take up a couple of posts.

(Also, forgive me if I have to take breaks occasionally, as my lap is currently occupied by a rather demanding, but cute, cat in desperate need of petting.)

First things first though. House updates!

My sewing room was a DISASTER AREA, so I had to purge some fabric (and will donate a big ol' box to a local group/theater/school or something). I also organized stuff, which took a while. Noel put some shelves in the closet so I could store things in there too, which was very helpful. I don't have the room totally finished yet, but major progress has been made. I can actually use the room for (gasp!) sewing now.

Here's a picture of my sewing room closet, most of the way full. Please note the "Organizing Professional" doing a thorough examination of one of the higher shelves. He is so helpful.


And here's the view from my sewing machine. Don't hate.



I didn't take a picture of the room itself. Huh. Well, I'll do that in the next week.

We've also been working on other things, like cleaning the window sills and other such fun stuff. Poe has found his Happy Place.



Considering that they're covered in black fur and we don't have A/C, they seem to enjoy the sun a lot.

I've been doing a lot of cooking lately too. Guess this whole Big Kitchen thing is more exciting than I thought. Dinner the other night: meatloaf, salad, and homemade bread.



Noel cut himself a path to the little creek by the house so he could have a Deep Thinkin' Spot. He put a bench down there and everything!



It is a pretty little spot. Particularly with the wild daylilies.



And the wild roses!



And also stinging nettles. I didn't get a picture of them. Which I should've, so y'all will know what they look like so you can avoid them like the plague. My mom brushed her arm up against one and it came out within seconds in big painful welts. Looked like a jellyfish sting! Noel wonders why people don't plant them in their window boxes, because they would certainly be a deterrent to people trying to sneak into your house. Brilliant.

We also swung in our tree swing the other night. It was cool out and the fireflies were dancing all around. (Again, don't hate.)

I took a picture of the tree (Thing In Sky!), just so you can vicariously swing too. Just sit back in your chair, look at this picture and move your head up and down slowly.



It's like you're right there! Except without the breeze. Or the fun.

So on Saturday we went to Hot Springs, NC to a bluegrass festival there. The bands were AMAZING. I also loved that they had old quilts hanging behind them as they played.


There was a group of cloggers who performed too. These kids were from the local school system and were the state champion clogging team! They were impressive. There was one little guy with red hair who couldn't have been a day over 8, and he was tearing the dance floor up.


We had bbq from the local volunteer firefighters tent, sat there and enjoyed the music, and had a wonderful afternoon.

We had a great evening too, but that'll have to wait for another post (too many pictures for one!)

2 comments:

Rachel said...

It's official. I'm homesick. Aren't too many cloggers up here.

Fantastic progress on the sewing room! Go you!!

Shannon, Chris, & Kane said...

I am a hater. Your new little house looks so awesome. Wish I was there. Love the stream and view.