Saturday, October 17, 2009

Goin' Thru The Big D, and Do Mean Dallas!

Actually not through Dallas, but slightly around Dallas. We're on our way to the next job, in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. Yay, cooler weather!

For now though, I wanted to update on the last bit of time in the Houston area.

Finally! Donuts! YUM. We actually have a few left over, miracle of all miracles. Heh.

We also had a surprise visitor this morning as we were packing up to leave:

An official Texas longhorn steer! I tried to get him to turn around, but apparently my traditional cow call ("here, cowie cowie cowie!) doesn't have a lot of effect on Texas cows. This was the best picture I could get.

We went to an Irish pub for our last night in Houston, and found a nice one in Galveston. Here, a portrait of Man In A Pub, Drinking:
We were also intrigued by some writing on the wall by the bar:

Can't read it? Check this out:

That's the flood line of the waters from Hurricane Ike last year. Amazing!! This place was so nice, and it was just incredible to realize it was rebuilt after such bad damage.

I also mailed out my nieces' Halloween costumes. I was very pleased with how they turned out - I hope they fit!! (Rachel: Spoiler! Don't look if you don't want to see these costumes yet!)

Here is the 1930's prim and prissy girl costume:

Here is the blue-skinned Jedi Twi-lek with head tentacles. Heh.


I can't wait to see them on the girls. Hopefully they like them!

When we pack up and get ready to leave, we have a lot of preparatory stuff to do. One thing is to go to Noel's work to get his toolbox, which is NOT the little red ones you get at Harbor Freight Tools for $7. Oh no. This is a BEAST of a toolbox, weighing about 1000 lbs and standing about as tall as me. So we have the trailer, but in the day to day drives to and from work, we didn't have the trailer attached. So! An important task is hooking up the trailer to the truck. This requires precision, an eye for detail, and an excellent sense of depth perception, as well as solid driving skills.


Which I apparently don't have any of. Thankfully this little plastic piece that...um....mysteriously fell off can be glued back. Oops.

Anyway, so now we're leaving for Oklahoma. Overall, I'd say that Houston was ok - very hot, lots of bugs, horrific traffic. However, the people were very friendly, and the Mexican food was tasty. :)
We're on the way to a town called Broken Arrow, outside of Tulsa. I'm thrilled because the temps are so much lower. 2 days ago in Houston, it was NINETY TWO. Did someone not mention to Mother Nature that hello, it's mid October. I can NOT be expected to knit in this kind of heat. Broken Arrow has average highs of 60 right now. YEEEEESSSSSSSS. Bring it on!!

No comments: