Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Miscellany

So I've been busily sewing for the past few days, cranking out the Halloween costumes. They're coming along nicely! (photos to follow once they're done).

For today though, I'd like to introduce you to yet another wonderful thing about Houston:

Sunday alcohol sales.

Not to say I'm an alkie or anything, but I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine, and how frustrating is it to want a glass of wine and go grocery shopping and you try to buy wine, but then get up to the counter and are told that you can't buy wine on a Sunday? (This is what happens in the great state of Georgia.) Crazy.

I discovered this by the way, on Sunday afternoon, when I went to the HEB to pick up a few important things (batteries, cat treats, Snickers bars, etc). And a man was working there, offering free wine samples. Let me repeat that for you: FREE WINE SAMPLES. Awww yeah. And I said to him that I guess if he's giving away wine, the popo won't show up to arrest anyone for BUYING said wine. Good stuff.

I had a frustrating day yesterday though. One of the few drawbacks to this lifestyle is that I don't have a washer & dryer in the house. This requires remediation vis-a-vis a laundromat. (Sorry, I went all SAT words there for a second). This campground, like most of them, has a laundry on site. However, I had some annoyances yesterday trying to do laundry:

1) There was no change machine, so I had to drive to a different laundromat to get quarters

2) 2 out of 4 of the washers were broken

3) One of said washers had overflowed onto the floor

4) 1 of 4 of the dryers was broken

5) The other dryers apparently forgot their main purpose for existence, that is, to DRY CLOTHES. Because after running the clothes through TWO times, they were still damp. And I don't mean slightly damp in the pockets of my jeans, but actually visibly WET. Sigh.

So this resulted in the RV being totally swathed in clothes on every piece of furniture (including the sunvisors!), so everything could dry. It was...rustic.

Anyway! I've decided that next time I do laundry, I'm going off-site to a laundromat. EXCEPT! They don't call them laundries here, or laundromat. They're called Washaterias. I don't know if it's pronouced Wash-a-TER-ia, or Wash-a-ter-IA, but either way, it's a rather quaint name, isn't it?

I also noticed a sign before a railroad crossing that says "No Signal Preemption For Train". I still can't figure out exactly what that means.

No comments: